Subject: B20 configure failing in Win98
From: [email-masked] (Will Mooar)

15 Nov 1998 02:00:35 -0800
Message-ID: <000501be103d$7e42a960$05804dd1.cygnus.gnu-win32@monster>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

I have narrowed down the search for the cause of Win98 configures to not
recurse subdirectories.  To sum it up, I believe the problem lies in using
backwards single-quotes to run a command and then return the result
in-place.   eg.    x=`cat file`.  My investigations follow:

At around about line 800 in the configure.in script there is this bit code:

configdirs=`echo " ${configdirs} " | sed -e "s/ ${dir} / /"`

Now, it works ok for a three of four iterations, and then mysteriously sets
configdirs to an empty string.  When I replaced the suspect line with the
following code, configdirs no longer gets trashed:

echo "configdirs=\" ${configdirs} \"" | sed -e "s/ ${dir} / /" >/tmp/xyz
.. /tmp/xyz
rm /tmp/xyz

The above code proves that the piping is OK and sed is OK, with the only
part being removed was the use of backwards single quotes.

Unfortunately the Win98 problems with B20 configures didn't stop there, with
the opcodes configure hanging while trying to "rm -f .libs", of which
".libs" is a directory.

I would like to be able to fix some of these problems, but until I can get
an environment working which allows me to recompile cygwin, I can only work
on the side-line.

Cheers,

Will.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".