Subject: Re: Why would malloc return NULL?
From: [email-masked] (Pierre A. Humblet)

14 Nov 1998 20:36:22 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: [email-masked] (Pierre A. Humblet)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>,
        Derrick Franceschini <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 09:43 AM 11/13/98 -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Derrick Franceschini wrote:
>
>> We have ported a large Unix application to NT using Cygwin (b19) and
>> seem to have a problem with malloc returning NULL when there is still
>> plenty of unused memory.  
[]

>Anytime this happens, I first suspect bugs in the code instead of the
>runtime. 
>
>I have code using 400M of RAM, in small and big chunks on Cygwin, and it
>works as advertised. That of course doesn't preclude bugs in Cygwin, but
>at least it shows it's not completely broken ;-)
>

In a related message I had reported a similar malloc problem happening in
gnu spell 1.0  Upon further examination the problem is indeed due a bug in
spell 1.0 and not to a bug in Cygwin. My apologies to Cygwin. I have
reported the problem to [email-masked]

Pierre

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".