Subject: Re: How to configure/install gcc
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

14 Nov 1998 19:28:54 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

"Kai Ruottu" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>  I remember that gcc-2.8.1 supported cygwin32 b19 out-of-the-box, but
> egcs-1.0.x versions needed patches for b19, the support being for b18
> or something...

You're right. Egcs-1.0.x release was cut before the patches were
integrated into it from the fsf tree.

>  The egcs-1.1 sources seemed to have support for b19 and needing no
> patches, unless installed using the Cygwin32 directory structure with
> all those 'H-i386-cygwin32/../../../' uglinesses...
> 
>  When I have built over 20 cross-compilers using cygwin32 b19 target
> gcc-2.8.1 to compile them, I would like to hear which are the problems
> with gcc-2.8.1 ?  Or, are the problems in the never-used C++ part?

The problem is that quite a few code generation bug fixes that have been
added to egcs are not yet in gcc 2.8.1. This mostly affects x86-win32 
targets, and that's why I recommend egcs. For other targets, and if you're 
using just C, by all means use 2.8.1!

Another problem is that people using gcc-2.8.1 for x86-win32 tend to also
use outdated target headers and libs from various sources, and I end up
having to respond to tons of non-bugs (no idea why folks send *me* email
when they problems with gcc-2.8.1 on x86-win32).

>  So, I think that having them both is the best... there should always be
> more than one compiler for the target.

Sage advice! Of course, it helps to have compilers from different vendors 
for cross-checking purposes.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".