Subject: RE: How to configure/install gcc
From: [email-masked] (Kai Ruottu)

14 Nov 1998 04:18:01 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Mark Keates wrote:
> 
> > I am running Beta19 under Win95 and would also like to be able to build
> > gcc from the gcc-2.8.1 sources.
> 
> Don't use gcc-2.8.1. It's old and doesn't have any of the newer win32
> specific fixes that are in egcs-1.1.

 I remember that gcc-2.8.1 supported cygwin32 b19 out-of-the-box, but
egcs-1.0.x versions needed patches for b19, the support being for b18
or something...

 The egcs-1.1 sources seemed to have support for b19 and needing no
patches, unless installed using the Cygwin32 directory structure with
all those 'H-i386-cygwin32/../../../' uglinesses...

 When I have built over 20 cross-compilers using cygwin32 b19 target
gcc-2.8.1 to compile them, I would like to hear which are the problems
with gcc-2.8.1 ?  Or, are the problems in the never-used C++ part?

 I found recently a serious bug in egcs-1.1 sources when trying to build a
'i386-coff' target cross-compiler. Using the 2.8.1-980929 snapshot sources
gave a fully working compiler, but egcs-1.1 failed miserably. Ok, the
compilers I tried were Linux egcs-1.0.2 and SCO 3.2 gcc-2.7.2. Both gave
just the same badly working compiler... Perhaps I try still a SVR4-target
GCC 2.8.1 and the cygwin32 target one to make sure that the fault is in
egcs-1.1 sources, not in the compilers used to produce the code...

 So, I think that having them both is the best... there should always be
more than one compiler for the target.

 Regards, Kai
 
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".