Subject: File dates: cygwin/Windows NT?
From: [email-masked] (Peter Kabal)

14 Nov 1998 00:52:28 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

Basic Question:
  How does cygwin/Windows NT deal with timestamps for files?

Under Unix, date stamps are seconds after a reference time, with the
reference time being in GMT.  As such, all timestamps are in GMT, and only
the displayed version changes with the locale.

What is the story under Windows?
------

Background:
I synchronized some files in early October between a Unix file system
(mounted using Samba) and local Windows files.  Datestamps of the files on
the Unix side (viewed from either Unix or the PC) and datestamps of the
files on the PC side were the same.  Now in November (after a shift from
Daylight savings time to Standard time), the same files on the Unix side
appear to be one hour newer than the files on the PC side.

This is playing havoc with my attempt to synchronize files on the Unix
system with the files on the PC system. (I use a Perl script mimicking the
operations of the Unix remote distribution (rdist) program to download the
files to the Unix system and synchronize the date stamps.)

Peter Kabal     [email-masked]    (514) 398-7130
Electrical & Computer Engineering      (514) 398-4470 (FAX)
McGill University
3480 University Street   Montreal, Quebec  Canada H3A 2A7
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".