Subject: bug in GNU make under Cygwin B20
From: [email-masked] (Tim Barbour)

13 Nov 1998 13:27:13 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

Using the following Makefile:

%:
	echo $(MAKECMDGOALS)

with the GNU make in the pre-compiled Cygwin B20 developer tools bundle on an NT
4 box, I get:

timb@MOCMLBPC27://i/src/mk/test/MAKECMDGOALS> echo $MAKE_MODE 
UNIX
timb@MOCMLBPC27://i/src/mk/test/MAKECMDGOALS> make foobie
echo 

timb@MOCMLBPC27://i/src/mk/test/MAKECMDGOALS> 

When I use the same Makefile with GNU Make version 3.76.1 under Solaris, it
behaves correctly (it should echo "foobie").

It appears that the B20 port of GNU make does not set MAKECMDGOALS correctly
(I have not seen it set at all).

I have a sophisticated GNU makefile system that works very well for our unix
builds, and would like to use it for NT builds also (Visual C++/nmake has some
limitations). Needless to say, it relies on MAKECMDGOALS.

Has anyone else encountered this problem ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim

***********************************************************************
This communication is confidential to MOCOM and is intended for use
only by the addressee. MOCOM does not represent that this communication
(including any files attached) is free from computer viruses or other
faults or defects. MOCOM accepts no responsibility or liability for
information, errors or omissions in this communication or use or misuse
thereof or any act done or omitted to be done in connection with same.
It is the responsibility of any person opening files attached to this
communication to scan those files for computer viruses.
***********************************************************************
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".