Subject: B19.1: make install scripts fail - trying to cp <exec> instead of <exec.exe>
From: [email-masked] (Westki E-Mail Account)

13 Nov 1998 11:39:48 -0800
Message-ID: <002b01be0e57$a39e5980$1a0101c0.cygnus.gnu-win32@simserver>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01BE0E2D.BA1A5E40"
To: <[email-masked]>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BE0E2D.BA1A5E40
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello!

   My name is Konstantin Terletskiy. I used CYGWIN Beta 19.1 a lot to =
port various UNIX utilities on NT. In most cases everything is OK, but =
most of the products have 'make install' step to install product to =
correct directories. Once tool has been built, it definitely has new =
<exec.exe> files to be installed. But makefile usually fails to do it =
reporting <exec>: No such file or directory. That's because makefile was =
written for pure UNIX, where executive file lloks like <exec>. But =
actually <exec.exe> exists. Even if I type 'ls <exec>' it shows that =
'<exec>' exist and actually <exec> points to <exec.exe>. But if I try =
'cp <exec> <exec>.1' it reports 'No such file or directory'. Ok, I could =
correct Makefile to deal explicitly with <exec.exe> and, after that, it =
works fine. But some distributions (as, for example, X11R6.3) rely on =
that issue too much, so a lot of changes should be done to make it =
buildable. And what is really confusing is that for 'ls' command <exec> =
exists as well as <exec.exe>, BUT for cp and mv commands only <exec.exe> =
exists, BUT not <exec>! I cannot also say 'ln -s exec.exe exec', because =
for ln <exec> already exists.

   May be somebody knows how to fight with this problem?

                                                                         =
                        Konstantin Terletskiy

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BE0E2D.BA1A5E40
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=3DGENERATOR>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; My name is Konstantin =
Terletskiy. I=20
used CYGWIN Beta 19.1 a lot to port various UNIX utilities on NT. In =
most cases=20
everything is OK, but most of the products have 'make install' step to =
install=20
product to correct directories. Once tool has been built, it definitely =
has new=20
&lt;exec.exe&gt; files to be installed. But makefile usually fails to do =
it=20
reporting &lt;exec&gt;: No such file or directory. That's because =
makefile was=20
written for pure UNIX, where executive file lloks like &lt;exec&gt;. But =

actually &lt;exec.exe&gt; exists. Even if I type 'ls &lt;exec&gt;' it =
shows that=20
'&lt;exec&gt;' exist and actually &lt;exec&gt; points to =
&lt;exec.exe&gt;. But=20
if I try 'cp &lt;exec&gt; &lt;exec&gt;.1' it reports 'No such file or=20
directory'. Ok, I could correct Makefile to deal explicitly with=20
&lt;exec.exe&gt; and, after that, it works fine. But some distributions =
(as, for=20
example, X11R6.3) rely on that issue too much, so a lot of changes =
should be=20
done to make it buildable. And what is really confusing is that for 'ls' =
command=20
&lt;exec&gt; exists as well as &lt;exec.exe&gt;, BUT for cp and mv =
commands only=20
&lt;exec.exe&gt; exists, BUT not &lt;exec&gt;! I cannot also say 'ln -s =
exec.exe=20
exec', because for ln &lt;exec&gt; already exists.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; May be somebody knows how to fight with =
this=20
problem?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
Konstantin Terletskiy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BE0E2D.BA1A5E40--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".