Subject: My Apologies / CIV Infectious Files
From: [email-masked] (Theodore Jump)

13 Nov 1998 09:35:53 -0800
Message-ID: <364d1c2a.799703.cygnus.gnu-win32@janus>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

From: Theodore A. Jump ([email-masked])
To:   Whom it May Concern

I'm sending this message as an apology and warning to any and all who may be
affected by this.

It came to my notice this morning (11/12/1998) that my system was rather
heavily infected with a variante of the CIV virus, and it took me a bit of time
to locate a tools and retrieve it with a clean system such that I *could* clear
out my system.

In further checking, it was found that *one* file on my WWW site was also
infected, so if you have previously downloaded the following file I would
suggest that you run proper virus detection/cleaning utilities for your system.

The affected file is:					cygwin-b20-usr-base.tar.bz2

Symantec, and their AntiVirus Research Center, have nicely made available two
tools to help in this task - KILL_CIH.EXE and their current command-line
cleaner - which facilitate clearing this nasty fellow off your system without
data loss or require reinstallation of anything.

I need to stress that this virus *MAY* be *VERY* damaging, depending on
factors. A quote for the Symatec site is appropriate here:

> W95.CIH has a destructive payload that is triggered on the 26th of the month;
> this payload may cause the entire contents of the system's hard drive to be
> lost.

This is *NOT* a guaranteed result, but why risk it?

Here's URLs for more info and anti-virus tools specifically suited for clearing
this bad guy:

	Detailed Information:

		http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/cih.html

	KILL_CIH information/download:

		http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/kill_cih.html

	Norton AntiVirus DOS Scanner Download:

		http://www.symantec.com/nav/index_downloads.html

Sincerely,
-Ted
______________________________________________________________________
http://www.i21.com/~tjump                   http://www.fighterduel.com

And then there's the one about the graphics programmer who fit the
struct for a line segment into two bytes, and finally managed to get
an edge in word-wise...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".