Subject: Re: Major Majordomo Problem
From: [email-masked] (139a80000-HallMDR313237x10)

13 Nov 1998 09:19:56 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "139a80000-HallM(DR3132)37x10" <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

> However, this mailing list is unique in that messages seem to be cached for
> several days on a Cygnus computer before being forwarded out in batches.

True to form, your mail was delivered on Thursday after you sent it on
Tuesday...

> For example, the attached message from Christopher Faylor was sent Sunday at
> 7:00pm, but was not forwarded out of Cygnus' domain until Tuesday at 3:30pm,
> after which it immediately appeared in my mailbox. Somewhere along the line it
> got a timestamp of Monday.  Why is this?

The Monday timestamp is in 3:00 GMT.  The Tuesday timestamp is 19:00 PST.
Pacific time is 8 hours behind GMT, so they are really the same time.  (i.e.
7PM PST == 3AM GMT)

So, I guess that the cygnus mail daemon is just too overloaded or something.
Maybe it isn't optimizing its SMTP connections.  For instance, if it trys to
deliver each message before attempting the next, then it has to sequentially
make several hundred SMTP connections to deliver one email, then do it all
again for the next, etc.  If it optimized its connections, it could perhaps
make one connection and deliver all the email for that host, then move on to
the next, etc.  Maybe the news server just barely has enough horsepower to
run the list and is severely overloaded.  Maybe it's running on cygwin32 :-).

marcus hall
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".