Subject: Re: cygwin b20 bash path usage?
From: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)

12 Nov 1998 16:51:23 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi William,

>I made the mistake of creating and trying to use an exectable named
>test.exe. under bash v2.02 in the cygwin beta 20 package. Nothing
>happened when it executed. I suspect that bash was executing the program
>test.exe in the cygwin-b20\bin directory rather my test.exe in the
>directory I was using.
>
>Is this proper behavior in bash? I assumed the directory being worked in
>was searched first then along the PATH directory list.

No, this isn't the behaviour for a typical U*ix shell, but for the
Windows command prompt. In a U*ix shell comamnds in the actual directory
only get executed, if you have ".", i.e the actual directory in your PATH.
This, however, is considered a big security hole due to trojans.
Concensus seems to be to have "." in your PATH, but not as the first
directory, i.e. PATH=/foo/bar:.

>
>Bill

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".