Subject: RE: b19,20: ln -d - hard links .. ?
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

11 Nov 1998 15:06:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

Let's be very specific, shall we?

NTFS supports hard links. The only exposed Win32 interface to them is
BackupWrite, as you describe.

Neither FAT16 nor FAT32 supports hard links.

There are undocumented NT interfaces which create and manipulate hard links.
Softway Systems' Interix, a POSIX (and soon to be branded UNIX) environment
for Windows NT, and other software (e.g. Microsoft's wimpy Posix subsystem),
use those interfaces.

Jason Zions
Softway Systems
http://www.interix.com

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mullee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 06, 1998 9:26 AM
To: Earnie Boyd; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: b19,20: ln -d - hard links .. ?

At 19:39 1998-11-04 -0000, you wrote:
>Win32 doesn't do hard links!

"Oh yeah?" :)

From Win32-SDK helpfiles that came with MSVC++ 4.1:

BackupWrite
    The BackupWrite function writes a stream of data from a buffer to a
    specified file or directory. The data must be divided into  substreams
    separated by WIN32_STREAM_ID structures. You use this function to
    restore a file or directory that has been backed up.
  Remarks
    The BACKUP_LINK stream type lets you restore files with hard links. 
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".