Subject: B20 xargs troubles
From: [email-masked]

11 Nov 1998 05:43:59 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]

find . -print | xargs grep ...  is failing for me in an inconsistent way.
Sometimes, the xargs part stops before the end of the find.  I can
reproduce a similar failure with:

find . -print > /tmp/foo  (once)

xargs grep ... < /tmp/foo
 or even
xargs echo SOMETHING < /tmp/foo

so it doesn't appear related to find or pipelines.

But none of the experiments are reproducable over a period of time.  Its
almost as if some hidden state changes now and then and changes the
behavior.  Although its hard to pin down, it appears that rather large
lists are needed.  One that fails has 1531 lines and 50926 characters.

If it makes any difference, I an NOT running with CYGWIN=tty.

Marc Auslander   <[email-masked]>   914 945-4346  (Fax x4425)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".