Subject: B20: piping problem in pdksh
From: [email-masked] (Terry Griffin)

10 Nov 1998 13:37:23 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I was using the public domain korn shell (ftp://ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh/)
version 5.2.13 with B19 and it was working fine. I upgraded to B20 and
following no longer works:

    ENVVAR=`command1 | command2`

No matter what the output of "command1 | command2" ENVVAR always comes
up empty. This works fine:

    command1 | command2

and this works fine:

    ENVVAR=`command1`

but combining the backquotes with the pipe suppresses the output
of the commands. Rebuilding pdksh for B20 didn't help. Bash does
not suffer from the same problem.

If you're inclined to give this a spin, e-mail me for a patch to
pdksh-5.2.13 to deal with the // pathname issue. Time allowing
(not likely) I shall investigate further myself.

Terry
-- 
======================================================================
 Terry Griffin <[email-masked]>           ____       _
 Axian, Inc.   <[email-masked]>              // |_  __(_) ___  _ __
 4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202             //| |\\/ /| |/ _ \| '_ \
 Beaverton, OR  97005 USA             _____//_| | / / | | |_| | | | |
 Voice: (503)644-6106                ((   //  |_|/_/\\|_|\_/|_|_| |_|
 Fax:   (503)643-8425                 ``-''          ``-''
 http://www.axian.com/~terryg/       Software Consulting and Training
======================================================================
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".