Subject: Re: B20: bad support for Mingw?
From: [email-masked] (jeffdb)

9 Nov 1998 10:32:53 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--=_36463479491169508f28269.MFSBCHJLHS"
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], cygwin users <[email-masked]>

----=_36463479491169508f28269.MFSBCHJLHS
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This is from rsxntdj so some may not apply
I haven't found anything better though ;^)

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 05:53:33 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>
>I have no idea.  I believe that Mumit said once that it was documented
>well in the source code.  I just found it rather intuitive to read but
>documentation for all semantics would be nice.
>
>
>---Ulrich Lauther <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> > 
>> > *cpp:
>> > -remap %(cpp_cpu) %{posix:-D_POSIX_SOURCE}  
>> > %{!mno-cygwin:-D__CYGWIN32__ -D__CY
>> > GWIN__}   %{mno-cygwin:-iwithprefixbefore
>../../../../include/mingw32
>> > -D__MINGW3
>> > 2__=0.2}
>> > 
>> > 
>> where can I find a description of syntax and semantics of spec-files?
>> 
>> -- 
>> 	-lauther
>> 
>>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Ulrich Lauther          ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
>> Siemens ZT SE 4         Internet: [email-masked]
>> 
>
>==
>-                  \\||//
>-------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o--------------
>--          [email-masked]          --
>-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32 --
>----------------ooo0O--O0ooo-----------------
>
>PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

----=_36463479491169508f28269.MFSBCHJLHS
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name=specs.txt
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=specs.txt

/* Specs are strings containing lines, each of which (if not blank)
is made up of a program name, and arguments separated by spaces.
The program name must be exact and start from root, since no path
is searched and it is unreliable to depend on the current working directory.
Redirection of input or output is not supported; the subprograms must
accept filenames saying what files to read and write.

In addition, the specs can contain %-sequences to substitute variable text
or for conditional text.  Here is a table of all defined %-sequences.
Note that spaces are not generated automatically around the results of
expanding these sequences; therefore, you can concatenate them together
or with constant text in a single argument.

 %%	substitute one % into the program name or argument.
 %i     substitute the name of the input file being processed.
 %b     substitute the basename of the input file being processed.
	This is the substring up to (and not including) the last period
	and not including the directory.
 %g     substitute the temporary-file-name-base.  This is a string chosen
	once per compilation.  Different temporary file names are made by
	concatenation of constant strings on the end, as in `%g.s'.
	%g also has the same effect of %d.
 %u	like %g, but make the temporary file name unique.
 %U	returns the last file name generated with %u.
 %d	marks the argument containing or following the %d as a
	temporary file name, so that that file will be deleted if CC exits
	successfully.  Unlike %g, this contributes no text to the argument.
 %w	marks the argument containing or following the %w as the
	"output file" of this compilation.  This puts the argument
	into the sequence of arguments that %o will substitute later.
 %W{...}
	like %{...} but mark last argument supplied within
	as a file to be deleted on failure.
 %o	substitutes the names of all the output files, with spaces
	automatically placed around them.  You should write spaces
	around the %o as well or the results are undefined.
	%o is for use in the specs for running the linker.
	Input files whose names have no recognized suffix are not compiled
	at all, but they are included among the output files, so they will
	be linked.
 %O	substitutes the suffix for object files.
 %p	substitutes the standard macro predefinitions for the
	current target machine.  Use this when running cpp.
 %P	like %p, but puts `__' before and after the name of each macro.
	(Except macros that already have __.)
	This is for ANSI C.
 %I	Substitute a -iprefix option made from GCC_EXEC_PREFIX.
 %s     current argument is the name of a library or startup file of some sort.
        Search for that file in a standard list of directories
	and substitute the full name found.
 %eSTR  Print STR as an error message.  STR is terminated by a newline.
        Use this when inconsistent options are detected.
 %x{OPTION}	Accumulate an option for %X.
 %X	Output the accumulated linker options specified by compilations.
 %Y	Output the accumulated assembler options specified by compilations.
 %Z	Output the accumulated preprocessor options specified by compilations.
 %v1	Substitute the major version number of GCC.
	(For version 2.5.n, this is 2.)
 %v2	Substitute the minor version number of GCC.
	(For version 2.5.n, this is 5.)
 %a     process ASM_SPEC as a spec.
        This allows config.h to specify part of the spec for running as.
 %A	process ASM_FINAL_SPEC as a spec.  A capital A is actually
	used here.  This can be used to run a post-processor after the
	assembler has done it's job.
 %D	Dump out a -L option for each directory in startfile_prefixes.
	If multilib_dir is set, extra entries are generated with it affixed.
 %l     process LINK_SPEC as a spec.
 %L     process LIB_SPEC as a spec.
 %G     process LIBGCC_SPEC as a spec.
 %S     process STARTFILE_SPEC as a spec.  A capital S is actually used here.
 %E     process ENDFILE_SPEC as a spec.  A capital E is actually used here.
 %c	process SIGNED_CHAR_SPEC as a spec.
 %C     process CPP_SPEC as a spec.  A capital C is actually used here.
 %1	process CC1_SPEC as a spec.
 %2	process CC1PLUS_SPEC as a spec.
 %|	output "-" if the input for the current command is coming from a pipe.
 %*	substitute the variable part of a matched option.  (See below.)
	Note that each comma in the substituted string is replaced by
	a single space.
 %{S}   substitutes the -S switch, if that switch was given to CC.
	If that switch was not specified, this substitutes nothing.
	Here S is a metasyntactic variable.
 %{S*}  substitutes all the switches specified to CC whose names start
	with -S.  This is used for -o, -D, -I, etc; switches that take
	arguments.  CC considers `-o foo' as being one switch whose
	name starts with `o'.  %{o*} would substitute this text,
	including the space; thus, two arguments would be generated.
 %{S*:X} substitutes X if one or more switches whose names start with -S are
	specified to CC.  Note that the tail part of the -S option
	(i.e. the part matched by the `*') will be substituted for each
	occurrence of %* within X.
 %{S:X} substitutes X, but only if the -S switch was given to CC.
 %{!S:X} substitutes X, but only if the -S switch was NOT given to CC.
 %{|S:X} like %{S:X}, but if no S switch, substitute `-'.
 %{|!S:X} like %{!S:X}, but if there is an S switch, substitute `-'.
 %{.S:X} substitutes X, but only if processing a file with suffix S.
 %{!.S:X} substitutes X, but only if NOT processing a file with suffix S.
 %(Spec) processes a specification defined in a specs file as *Spec:
 %[Spec] as above, but put __ around -D arguments

The conditional text X in a %{S:X} or %{!S:X} construct may contain
other nested % constructs or spaces, or even newlines.  They are
processed as usual, as described above.

The -O, -f, -m, and -W switches are handled specifically in these
constructs.  If another value of -O or the negated form of a -f, -m, or
-W switch is found later in the command line, the earlier switch
value is ignored, except with {S*} where S is just one letter; this
passes all matching options.

The character | is used to indicate that a command should be piped to
the following command, but only if -pipe is specified.

Note that it is built into CC which switches take arguments and which
do not.  You might think it would be useful to generalize this to
allow each compiler's spec to say which switches take arguments.  But
this cannot be done in a consistent fashion.  CC cannot even decide
which input files have been specified without knowing which switches
take arguments, and it must know which input files to compile in order
to tell which compilers to run.

CC also knows implicitly that arguments starting in `-l' are to be
treated as compiler output files, and passed to the linker in their
proper position among the other output files.  */

----=_36463479491169508f28269.MFSBCHJLHS--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".