Subject: Re: rename or copy cygwin1.dll to cygwinb19.dll
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

8 Nov 1998 04:42:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> The install instructions say:
> 
> This version of Cygwin is backwards-compatible with the beta 19
release. If
> you rename the cygwin1.dll included as part of B20 to
"cygwinb19.dll", the
> old executables should be able to function with the new version of the
> library.
> 
> Doing a rename leaves you without a cygwin1.dll, and programs seem
to stop
> loading.  So I've copied it instead and have both.  I assume this is
> correct but thought I'd ask.
> 

Yes, it should have been copy.  However, if you execute a program such
as the gdb from b19 that calls a cygwin build dll and it gets the one
with cygwin1.dll then you will crash with a core file as the two can't
exist in the process together.  You can check what dll's are getting
loaded with DJ's cygcheck program by `cygcheck programname.exe'.  If
you see both cygwin1.dll and cygwinb19.dll then you know that the
program will not run.

I posted yesterday an alternative to copying the dll for gdb.exe
subjected as "Windowed gdb?!?!"; so watch for it to find out what I did.

==
-                  \\||//
-------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o--------------
--          [email-masked]          --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32 --
----------------ooo0O--O0ooo-----------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".