Subject: Re: Linker: Bug or Feature?
From: [email-masked] (Lassi A. Tuura)

7 Nov 1998 00:57:13 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

|> I get an "undefined reference to asmfunctionfoo...", the function in
|> the .asm / .o file.  [renaming .cpp to .c works]

The C file probably says `extern int asmfunctionfoo (...)'?  If the file
extension is `.cpp', GCC compiles the file as C++ and function names
will be mangled, e.g. `int asmfunctionfoo (void)' would become something
like `asmfunctionfoo__Fv'.  If it is compiled as C, the name is not
mangled and the link succeeds.  If you want to compile it as C++, use
`extern "C"' instead of `extern'. 

Hope this helps,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  --RFC1925, "The Twelve Networking Truths"

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".