Subject: Re: B19 vs B20 for building egcs
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

6 Nov 1998 22:34:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> I've spent (wasted?) some time comparing how well B19 and B20 are
doing for
> building egcs.
> 
> On an NT4/SP3 box, B20 may be working as well as B19 with coolview,
provided
> that the same make and binutils are installed on both.  The make
which comes
> with B20 is better than the one in B19, but it fails to install
certain parts
> of the build e.g. f771.exe cc1.exe etc. so I've gone back to
make-3.77.  The
> binutils which come with B20 (and with Mumit Khan's excellent
egcs-1.1 for
> B19) die on certain asm()'s and don't appear to implement the
".p2align"ments
> fully.  Ignoring .p2align directives produces smaller slower .exe's,
> measureably slower even on p6 but more so on p2.
> 
> In order to make b20 work while b19 is still present on disk, it seems
> necessary to rename the b19 directory.  This doesn't help on W95, but
> considering the remarks about W95 not being fully supported, I'm not
ready to
> blow B19 away.  Switching between b19 and b20 also requires (I think)
> switching versions of bash in /bin/sh.exe and copying the
cygwinxx.dll into
> each other's bin directories.
> 
> It sure would be nice if the dejagnu in B20 can be brought to life.
> 
> Just commenting in case someone has helpful suggestions.

Hi N8TM,

I have a directory structure which works nice from the users point of
view when working with two different versions of the cygwin package. 
I have the structure documented on my webpage under "My Favored
Directory Structure" under "Personal Reflections".

All I have to do to switch between the two versions is change the
mount for root.  Note, I haven't found a clean way (yet) to have more
than one version running on the same workstation at the same time. 
The changes to the mount table take effect immediately even to already
existing processes preventing me from starting session 1 with b19 and
session 2 with b20 as session 1 will then point to the b20 directory
structure.

Let me know if you need help.

==
-                  \\||//
-------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o--------------
--          [email-masked]          --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32 --
----------------ooo0O--O0ooo-----------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".