Subject: Re: Linux->Win32 cross compiler ?
From: [email-masked] (Kai Ruottu)

6 Nov 1998 17:48:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

> > does anyone know if a cross compiler exists for Linux which
> > creates Win32 executables just like gnuwin32 does?
> 
> I don't thing so, but let me now if you get more positive response
> on that.

 These beasts really exist, I have three, a gcc-2.8.1 one, which I
use as my 'production compiler', and egcs-1.03 and egcs-1.1, both
built to be as references if something weird happens... All three
use the cygwin32 b19 libs and headers and work under RedHat 4.0 with
kernel 2.0.35 and libc-5.4.44...

 Mumit has one, Jan Jaap had a 2.8.1 for mingw32 target... (I have
probably built egcs-1.03 and 1.1 for Mingw32 target some time ago)
Quite many have these, but when the attitude is 'I want to learn
how to do it myself', there aren't much interest to ready-to-run
binaries for anything else than the base Linux distributions...

 Then there are the questions about using 'libc6' or 'libc5', which 
'libbfd.so's to use and so on. Perhaps just saying 'Linux' is not
saying anything, but 'RedHat 5.1' or 'S.u.S.E 5.03' is... (have we
now lost the 'standard Linux' for ever...). Releasing binary stuff
to Win32 seems to be much easier.

 Cheers, Kai

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".