Subject: B20: severe trouble after updating to B20
From: [email-masked] (Christian Buchner)

5 Nov 1998 11:09:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Greetings,

I've been using the B19 release of CygWin for three days now (and I loved
it!). I was able to compile the sources from the ecgs-1.1b.tar.gz 
archive with this CygWin version.

Yesterday I updated to B20. I deleted the whole B19 tree and replaced the
SH.EXE program in /bin with the recent one.

I am using Windows 98 (this might be important).

Problem #1:

chmod +x <filename>

will not set the +x flag (ls -l doesn't show any x flag). So I can no
longer start the scripts my home directory /home/flowerp by just
typing their names.

In the .BAT file that starts CygWin, I added the following lines:
SET HOME=/home/flowerp
SET USER=flowerp

Could this be the cause for the misbehaviour I just described?

Problem #2:

I was trying to re-compile EGCS 1.1b using CygWin B20. I untarred the
egcs-1.1b.tar.gz archive to the root directory. To compile, I typed the
following lines:

mkdir /objdir
cd /objdir
/ecgs-1.1b/configure

SH.EXE suddenly crashes after a few seconds, dumping core.
Quite annoying.

Problem #3:

The main reason why I am using CygWin and ECGS is: I want to contribute
to the Windows port of a a project called "UAE" (Unix Amiga Emulator).
Starting from B20, the ECGS 1.1 compiler that is provided in the B20
"full.exe" distribution, will no longer compile the sources. When
compiling a part of the UAE sources (to be exact: newcpu.c), the
assembler(!) of GCC reports a strange error when compiling an assembly  
source file in my TEMP directory (F:\TEMP). I cannot remember the exact
error log, but on request I can send it to you. All I can say now that I
was able to compile the program using the B19 release.

I am going to reinstall B19, because this one worked.

Some additional questions:

  - Where can I obtain the patches that you applied to the original EGCS
    1.1b distribution for compiling the EGCS runtime files you supply 
    in "full.exe"?

  - Can anyone tell me where to find examples (source code and API
description) of how to communicate directly with SCSI devices using
Windows 98 and/or NT? Does mingw32 support this API or will I have
to create my own header files and/or linker libraries for this purpose?

Greetings,

  Christian Buchner

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".