Subject: b20: 16-bit subsystem death: NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Layer)

5 Nov 1998 00:27:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

This is not a bug report, but is merely offered as a data point.  It's
not a bug report because I don't expect there is enough information
for anyone to debug the problem.

I'm running NT 4.0, SP3.

With both b19 and b20 I get intermittent errors when running make
(with a complex set of makefiles, that, again, work perfectly fine on
b18).  A dialog box pops up with the title "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
and this contents:

	c:\...\make.exe

	The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
	CS:0493 IP:22bf OP:63 20 74 6f

		Terminate	Ignore

Choosing ignore a bunch of times (10 or so) eventually causes the make
to die a horrible death.

The command I'm running when make dies is `mlx':

   Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.00B 
   Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-1992.  All rights reserved.

which I must use to compile part of my system.  Is it just not
possible to use 16-bit programs from the new makes?

Sadly, back to b18 for me.......

Kevin Layer             [email-masked]        http://www.franz.com/
Franz Inc., 1995 University Avenue, Suite 275, Berkeley, CA  94704, USA
Phone: (510) 548-3600   FAX: (510) 548-8253
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".