Subject: Newbie's comments on the FAQ 20.0
From: [email-masked] (Andres Heinloo)

3 Nov 1998 01:26:16 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Andres Heinloo <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi,

I just read the new FAQ to find out what's new in the b20. I think that
some FAQ sections are a bit outdated based on what I have read in this
list last couple of weeks.

* "How can I build a relocatable dll?"

This is a long description while Mumit Khan wrote on Oct 24 that making
a DLL is as simple as

  dlltool --output-def my.def --add-stdcall-alias [ ... ] *.o
  dllwrap -o my.dll --def my.def [ .... ]*.o

* "How do I link against .lib files?"

Few days ago I read from the list that there are patches that make it
possible to link against msvc .lib files (but not Borland's). 

I think that the procedure in this section could be better explained for
people like me who have never used Windows compilers and have no idea what
"building a dummy LibMain" means.

* "How can I compile an Alpha NT toolchain?"

I saw some pointers to Alpha binaries in the list, that means the library
is ported to Alpha by someone. I think it could be noted in the FAQ, even
though the Alpha apparently isn't officially supported.

Andres.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".