Subject: Re: A few simple newbie quests, any takers ??
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

1 Nov 1998 03:14:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

On 29 Oct 98, John vanVlaanderen had questions about A few simple 
newbie quests, any takers ??:

> MicroSoft OS from hell.   <= You got that right!

[snip]

> 1) Where is a coolview web site in the US ??

good question; his home site wasn't responding when I tried the 
other day.  Anybody mirroring?

> 2) Which patches, dll's do I need to get xterms running correctly ??

Where you running an X-server? (I haven't tried that yet, but The 
Xvnc port is supposed to be much faster than Mi-X)  I'm using rxvt 
without any X-lib or server, and it works great - it doesn't have 
as many problems as the DOS bash shell (the text/binary and CR/LF 
stuff).  I posted my .bashrc and .profile the other day; let me 
know if you want me to send it to you.

> 3) Has xterm and vi been fixed so I can get better width, my perl OO 
> programs sometimes drift sideways.  If so, where is that stuff.

I haven't tried the cygwin vi, but ntemacs and gvim (both native 
win32 ports) work fine.  Check my Tools pages for links:
http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

I've got a new Advanced Tools page up with some cool stuff for both 
win32 and Linux/UNIX (VNC, GRASP, ROOT, etc).

> 4) My crashes have happened while doing redirection specifically from 
> the console where I type:
> cat > file1
> 
> and then hit the inject buttons on the mouse ( my word for paste )
> and then I zillions of MS type exceptions.

I still haven't got my mouse to do the X copy/paste stuff yet; the 
redirection problems are probably due to CR/LF and the text/binary 
mess.

> 5) My final crash, I think came about as a syntax error in bash, and I 
> can recreate it if anybody needs me to.

Again, bash works better in an rxvt than it does in the DOS shell.  
Also, things seem to work better if you just launch things from the 
DOS bash and put them in the background (besides, if you're really 
a unix guy, what do you want with windoze shortcuts anyway? ;-)

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm still learning all this linux/unix 
stuff (ie, I couldn't fix a termcap problem, but I can get Xfree86 
configured pretty good); I'm just now taking my first C class...

Keep trying...

Steve

***********************************************************
Steve Arnold                          [email-masked]
The salesman said "This machine requires Windows 95, NT, or
better."   The only thing I could think of was Linux.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".