Subject: Re: building egcs on Win32 platforms
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

31 Oct 1998 04:21:29 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Brendan Simon <[email-masked]>
Cc: CygWin32 <[email-masked]>, Cross-GCC <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Brendan Simon wrote:

> I want to build a powerpc cross compiler to hosted on a Win95/98 box.
> RTEMS documentation mention getting cygwin32 beta19.  I'm pretty sure
> this will work but I would like to build with MinGW32.  This is because
> the resulting crosscompiler will be native Win32 program and will be
> faster (unless cygwin has changed in the last 6 months to a year).

Mingw is definitely faster than Cygwin, but the gap is narrowing with
upcoming b20 (out any day now). There are quite a advantages of using
Cygwin GCC over Mingw that IMO book outweigh the speed cost.

> Is it possible to use the cygwin user-tools (bash, etc) but have the
> MinGW32 compiler tools in the path instead of the Cygwin32 compiler
> tools ?

Yes. Just set your path to Mingw compiler directory *before* Cygwin, set
your GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and off you go.

> How is the naitive MinGW32 built from the sources ?  Using itself or
> Cygwin32 ?

I build it on a Linux box, but you should be able to build it on Cygwin
system as well. The usual configure parameters.

I suggest you get the Cygwin b20 source tree when it comes out and build
using that. It's already laid out for you and all you need to do is to
configure and build.

Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".