Subject: Problem with making shared library in GnuWin
From: [email-masked] (Jorrit Tyberghein)

31 Oct 1998 03:35:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I have CygWin B19.1 and EGCS 1.1.

I'm trying to make a shared library. First I tried to compile all source files
with the -fPIC commandline option as is normally needed for position independent
code. However this gives me the following error message:

/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/bin/as.exe: bfd assertion fail /home/noer/src/97r2/devo/bfd/coff-i386.c:424
C:\TEMP\cc001110.s: Assembler messages:
C:\TEMP\cc001110.s:27: Error: Cannot represent relocation type BFD_RELOC_386_GOTPC

The same command and sources work on a regular Unix/Linux system (tested both Solaris
and Linux).

I then removed the -fPIC to see if that works and it did. However I now got the following
error when linking:

g++  -Wl -shared -o softrndr.so out/UNIX.so_X11/render/software/SoftwareRender.o out/UNIX.so_X11/render/graph3d.o out/UNIX.so_X11/render/software/scan.o out/UNIX.so_X11/render/softw16/scan16.o out/UNIX.so_X11/com/InterfaceDefs.o
out/UNIX.so_X11/com/csCom.o out/UNIX.so_X11/com/inttable.o out/UNIX.so_X11/system/xlib/loadlib.o  -L out/UNIX.so_X11/ -L /usr/X11R6.3/lib -lXext -lX11 -lm -L ../zlib -lz -L ../libpng -lpng -L ../libjpeg -ljpeg
g++: unrecognized option `-shared'

So how does one create shared libraries with EGCS 1.1 then?

Greetings and thanks in advance,

--
==============================================================================
[email-masked], University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"Chap with a whip got as far as the big sharp spikes last week," said
the low priest.
        -- Life in the Temple of Offler
           (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)
==============================================================================

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".