Subject: Re: I need help with telldir and seekdir
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

30 Oct 1998 18:46:05 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: "Dr. Volker Zell" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Cygnus <[email-masked]>

"Dr. Volker Zell" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Hi
> 
> >I'm trying to port code from unix to win32 with cygwin32.  Everything
> >worked right until a tried to compile a file wich included "dirent.h"
> >and tried to use seekdir and telldir.
> >    Can somebody tellme either  if  those functions are available in
> >other  header file, or  if i should implement them, and if that's the
> >case, how can i do it.

seekdir and telldir are not part of POSIX (and obviously not part of the
ANSI C library), and any code using these (presumably expecting a BSD 4.3 
environment) is inherently non-portable to POSIX systems.

More often than not, the combination of telldir and seekdir is simply used 
as a replacement for rewinddir, which *is* POSIX and is part of cygwin. 

Older versions of mc (eg,. 4.1.35) didn't use these, so must be recent
addition, and I would assume quite easy to work around.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".