Subject: Re: B19: gcc/libc bug with call to atof() (Win95)
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

29 Oct 1998 11:24:21 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Martin Hansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Martin Hansen wrote:

> The following small program produces the bug:

[ ... ]

> The program compiles and I don't get any error about the missing line
> "#include <stdlib.h>", where atoi() and atof() are declared.  (This is
> the bug, part1)

Sorry, but your code is buggy. You *must* prototype atof before using 
it, otherwise the default return type in C is "int" and obviously you 
get garbage in this case. Either include <stdlib.h> or declare it 
yourself.

  $ gcc -c -Wall file.c

is a good check before blaming the compiler ...

Also, you probably should upgrade your compiler tools to egcs. See
Cygnus home page for link back to mine.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".