Subject: Re: Which of cygwin32's design goals does ascii file conversion fulfil?
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

28 Oct 1998 16:09:27 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Olle Olsson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 12:21:10PM +0100, Olle Olsson wrote:
[...]
> -those that want Unix functionality to gracefully coexist *and_cooperate*
> with functionality provided by a Windows platform. This cannot be provided
> by a Linux at al. solution

This is the primary goal.  In my personal uses of Cygwin, I have never
needed to use binary mounts.  Instead, I have added the requisite
binary mode flags to open calls, etc.  Usually, it's not very
difficult.  Some of the text utilities that should be able to be used
in either text or binary mode still need binary flags added though,
that's about has hard as it gets (still not very)...

> Or is it, as some have suggested, not the design goals of the Cygwin
> infrastructure that is limiting us. Is it the design goals of the tool
> porters that might restrict us?

Ernie Boyd has written at length describing the typical changes to get
everything working correctly with text mode mounts (a version of which
will appear in the upcoming b20 FAQ) so I won't repeat it here.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".