Subject: Re: Which of cygwin32's design goals does ascii file conversion fulfil?
From: [email-masked] (Darren Cook)

25 Oct 1998 11:05:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

>As I have noted before, there are two types of cygwin32 users, those
>who are trying to make their Windows box feel more Unixy, and those
>who are porting Unix code to Windows.  It seems to me that neither of

I'm trying mingw to see if it's a viable alternative to Visual C++.

>these groups has any need for DOS ``text mode'' conversion (where
>lines are terminated by CR-LF.)  Why not make binary mode the one and
>only default once and for all?

The main reason is writing a program that has to read or write files that
have to be used on Windows.

Actually I see you're just referring to what the default should be. I
always explicitly define "b" or "t", but I wonder how much existing code
would break if the default changed?

Darren

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".