Subject: Re: Which of cygwin32's design goals does ascii file conversion fulfil?
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

25 Oct 1998 03:41:10 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <(David> <Fox)> <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
David Fox <[email-masked]> wrote:
>As I have noted before, there are two types of cygwin32 users, those
>who are trying to make their Windows box feel more Unixy, and those
>who are porting Unix code to Windows.  It seems to me that neither of
>these groups has any need for DOS ``text mode'' conversion (where
>lines are terminated by CR-LF.)  Why not make binary mode the one and
>only default once and for all?
>
>There's probably a good reason that I'm not aware of...

How about people who already have files with CRLF text endings?

Anyway, I'm not going to get dragged into YA discussion about this.  As
I have suggested many times before, rather than raise this issue over
and over and over again, please read the mailing list archives.  It has
been discussed to death in this mailing list in the past.
-- 
[email-masked]
http://www.cygnus.com/