Subject: Re: Problem setting PATH variable
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

25 Oct 1998 03:16:25 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Randy Campbell <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---Randy Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I am having strange difficulties setting the PATH variable in .bashrc.
> 
> I want to include /usr/local/bin in the path.
> 
> If I don't set PATH in .bashrc, i.e. accept the default, login and,
on the
> command line,
> execute "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin", everything works fine.
> 
> If I place the same command in .bashrc, I can't resolve executables
that are
> in
> /usr/local/bin, even though "echo $PATH" seems to show it as part of
the
> path,
> appearing identical to the first case.
> 
> Can anyone suggest what the difference might be?

Do you have binary mounts set?  If you have binary mounts set and the
..bashrc file contains \r\n then what you are adding to PATH is
/usr/local/bin\r which isn't what you want.  Two ways to fix this
problem:  move back to text mounts (prefered by me) or remove the \r
from the .bashrc file.

If you don't have binary mounts set then I don't know what the problem
is.  I set my path variable from .bashrc (I do have text mounts).  I
am however replacing the entire contents of PATH.

==
-                  \\||//
-------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o--------------
--          [email-masked]          --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32 --
----------------ooo0O--O0ooo-----------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".