Subject: Re: Getting Started, 'errno' problem
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

24 Oct 1998 09:12:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: MULTIPART/MIXED; BOUNDARY="1915750185-1669742654-909180766=:22932"
To: "Stephen E. Schweibinz" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
  Send mail to [email-masked] for more info.

--1915750185-1669742654-909180766=:22932
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Stephen E. Schweibinz wrote:

> I am trying to port some C code from Unix to NT.  I have
> just installed Cygwin32 Beta19 (cdk.exe).  I then installed
> the b19.1-update (new-cygwin19_dll.gz).  Lastly, I replaced
> the Cygwin32 compiler with the egcs-1.1 compiler
> (egcs-1.1-cygb19.tar.gz).  

So far so good.

> 
> After each step, I have tried compiling but I continue
> to get the same problems.  1) Failure to recognize where
> gcc.exe is located (gcc: permission denied) and 2)
> undefined reference to 'errno'

(1) depends on PATH setting obviously, which is ok from your PATH
listing (deleted). Are you using bash? If so, what does `type gcc'
produce? Can you run the following:
  
  $ gcc -v

and if yes, what does it say?

(2) is because of non-ANSI behaviour in lots of old code where instead
of include errno.h, the code declares an "extern int errno" which is
wrong.

> When I try to run 'make', I keep getting an undefined reference
> to 'errno'.

Why can't you just look in the code to see what might be causing this?
Blindly running make and expecting everything to come out ok is probably
asking a bit too much.

I'm attaching my local changes to pbmplus ... comes w/out any warranty
whatsoever (TRANSLATION: free to take what you need, but please don't 
ask me questions about it).

Regards,
Mumit

--1915750185-1669742654-909180766=:22932
Content-Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream; name="pbmplus-win32.diff.gz"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Description: pbmplus patch for win32

--1915750185-1669742654-909180766=:22932--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".