Subject: Re: Windows NT issues.
From: [email-masked]

23 Oct 1998 16:45:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

In a message dated 10/22/98 12:12:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> I am regularly being struck down by errors when executing GNU software
>  under NT, even if compiled with MinGW32.
>  So what? Is this normal? Under Win98, these programs run error-free. As
>  long as they are just a few utilities, I can boot the other platform and
>  use the program, but it's quite a hassle, and I fear not being able to
>  develop apps for NT.
>  
>  Is this a well-known issue, or is my Windows NT just screwed up?
You're leaving us a little short of information.  I've made a point of finding
out how to set up as close to the same as possible on W95 and NT.  The biggest
difference is I have more drives on the NT box, and this makes it more
important to avoid ash in favor of bash.  On NT, you should set up the Path in
the System Control Panel so that it includes the Cygnus directory where
cygwinb19.dll etc. are.  

On W95, I have the advantage of using NU and not McAfee as I must do on NT.
I suspect that NT4 SP3 is less stable than NT4 SP1.  NT requires much more
frequent use of registry clean and scandisk than W95, but both are quite
dependent on this sort of thing.  
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".