Subject: RE: New Installation
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

21 Oct 1998 02:14:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Leo Mauro" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

At 06:45 PM 10/19/98 -0400, Leo Mauro wrote:
>On Monday, October 19, 1998 05:58 AM, Stephen Marley wrote:
>
>> I don't get it. Why should one use a Cygwin32 version of Vim when
>> perfectly acceptable Win32 native ports (gui and console) exist?
>
>In order to be able to use CygWin32 file names, as the shell and
>everything else understands.  Think about mounts and symbolic links,
>which the native VIM won't understand.
>
>In fact, I use both versions:  I set up the path when I start bash in such
>a way that I run the CygWin version instead of the native.  When I start
>CMD I get instead the native version.
>
>Leo
>

I feel compelled to point out that there is much less of a need (if any) to
have the native Win32 version of vim (and probably other programs) if you 
have the Cygwin32 version working.  Presuming that the Cygwin DLL is in 
your path regardless of which shell you are using, the Cygwin32 version of
these programs will work just fine for either bash or the command prompt.  
Of course, every program is different and different bugs may pop up in 
different versions of specific programs, in which case it may still be 
beneficial to have both versions of one program around.  

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com

PS - Comments on this are welcome.  However, please don't respond to the
     list with flames or your personal preference in this regard unless 
     it points out a factor which would be of general use and is not 
     already pointed out by my comment above or previous ones in this 
     thread.  I don't mean to admonish anyone for any response they may
     have but I can see this issue could border on a "religious" war.  If
     that is the case, I think it best that the majority of the traffic
     of that vein should remain off-line.  Direct comments to me will be
     read and salient points of general interest summarized to the list.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".