Subject: Re: NT extended attributes
From: [email-masked] (Michael H. Warfield)

20 Oct 1998 12:20:23 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (Stephen Marley)
Cc: [email-masked]

Stephen Marley enscribed thusly:
> On 18 October 1998, David Bush wrote:
> >  > In Unix you can't change the ownership of a file to someone else, even
> >  > if you are the actual owner.

> > Actually it depends on the version of Unix.  Solaris has a kernel
> > parameter that determines if that behavior is allowed or not.

> Not being able to give away files (unless you are root) is a BSDish
> thing, System V used to allow it. The rationale for BSD is that you'd be
> able to circumvent the quota mechanism for restricting disk usage if you
> could just gave your files away.

	I may be wrong, but it seems to me like this goes back much further
than that.  Seems like there is something in the Orange book (C2, B2, B1,
el al, security ratings) that says something about that.  If I remember
correctly, it's not a requirement on the "C" level but is required for
some of the "B" level stuff.  Harris Corporation has (or use to have) a
"B" level evaluated system...  I think it was their Black Hawk series.
That was a Unix system, but I don't remember if it was AT&T based or
BSD.  If it was BSD, I think the time frame would put it at BSD 4.2 or
earlier ( > 8 years ago).  If AT&T based it would be SysVR3 or earlier.
I don't have references handy and, like I said, I could be very wrong.

> -- 
> [email-masked]
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".