Subject: RE: Xvnc setup (was Free Win32 X servers)
From: [email-masked] (Valery Tulnikov)

20 Oct 1998 08:40:27 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

Xvnc cygwin package works as the same on any Un*x boxes. So you have just
read Vnc FAQ at Vnc website for detailed instructions. The main difference
is that my Xvnc package could be use as an alternate X-server if you use it
with the native WinVNC or Java viewer. The short installation and using
instruction:
1. Unpack package to /usr/X11R6.3/bin or /usr/X11R6.4/bin directory. You
should install X11 distribution package. How? Read detailed instruction at
the excellent da Silva's page;
2. Install Perl from Qub;
3. start Xvnc server by 'vncserver' at the bash shell. Provide and verify
password when asking;
4. Xvnc create .vnc directory in your $HOME. If you experienced some errors
analyze the *.log in this directory - usually it's self-explanatory.
5. If you hate twm you could change it by providing another WM at
..vnc/xstartup file in your $HOME (I like WindowMaker, but not recommend it
for Vnc due to exceeding graphics, use mwm or something similar instead).
6. From client: run either Winvnc or Java applet viewer and provide
'your.hostname.com:display_number', where display_number is the number of
display that Xvnc use (you see the display number either from *.log file or
from information seeing when Xvnc started.
That's all!
Additional notes:
a) If you'd like to use a Java applet you could copy classes directory to
/usr/local/vnc/classes from either VNC source distribution or from any of
Un*x binaries.
b) If you experienced problems with fonts (in *.log you see messages that no
fonts are found) you need additionally install X11 fonts (it's not compiled
under Cygwin, but you could simply copy it from any Un*x box. Don't miss to
rebuild its by doing 'mkfontdir" at each of the font directory.
c) All directories I mentioned should be added to $PATH variable.

P.S. Thanks for opportunity to write all of this - I try to update my page
soon (maybe when b20 distribution is released) adding this explanation and
maybe some new stuff.
Btw, is it interesting for anyone that I could incorporate compression patch
to Xvnc Cygwin port? It could significantly improve performance.

With best regards,

Valery Tulnikov,
[email-masked]
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul

----------------------------------------------------
I have Xvnc on my linux box at work and I run the vncviewer on my
windoze box; it works great.  However, I'm not sure how to do it
with Valery's package (all on one machine with the Xlib stuff,
cygwin, and the Xvnc port).  Xvnc is called from a perl script, so
I got the cygwin perl package from Qub, but I'm not sure what to do
next.

Valery:

What do I do with the classpath stuff in the vncserver script?  Do
I need to get the linux Xvnc package and extract those files?  What
about a window manager? (Xvnc uses twm by default, but I switched
to fvwm on the linux box)  Could you give us a brief setup howto
that describes the required packages, tweaks, etc?  (or does anyone
else have this combination working?)

Thanks in advance, Steve Arnold

*************************************************************
Steve Arnold                            [email-masked]
http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

Fatal error:  MS Windows detected, deleting DOS partition...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".