Subject: mount type, compiler barf, and sym links
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

18 Oct 1998 23:37:26 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

Howdy:

I can't keep up with the volume (and much of what I do read is 
pretty obtuse to me anyway); sorry if this seems like a stupid 
question.

I've had the B19/coolview/egcs setup working for a few weeks (at 
least for compiling my stupid homework problems - all console mode 
stuff).  I guess I always had my root partition mounted text mode.  
After reading some of the posts lately on the subject, I got the 
impression I should use binary mounts, so when I created some new 
mount points for /tmp, /var, my ntemacs directory (for symbolic 
links), etc, I used the -b switch.  I also changed my root mount 
point in the registry to the binary type.  Suddenly my homework 
wouldn't compile; I got some weird error message about undefined 
symbols in stdio.h & stddef.h (all my source files are LF only).

I changed the mount type back and everything compiles fine again.  
What was the problem?  Something to do with CR/LF translation?  
Would somebody care to explain it in terms a self-taught guy (with 
a geophysics background) can understand?  Which types of mounts do 
I want for what types of scenarios and why?

I also created some sym links in /bin that point to win32 versions 
of vim and emacs (as well as linking /bin/sh to bash).  Do I need 
to explicitly link to prog1.exe or just prog1 (the links in /bin 
seem to work fine as sh, gvim, and emacs)?  Are there any hidden 
implications to using/not using the DOS .exe file extension under 
bash?

Thanks in advance for any answers, Steve

*************************************************************
Steve Arnold                            [email-masked]
http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

Fatal error:  MS Windows detected, deleting DOS partition...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".