Subject: MSVCRT/threads
From: [email-masked] (Darren Cook)

18 Oct 1998 04:02:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

I've installed EGCS 1.1 for i386-mingw32. My question is how do I tell the
linker I'm using MSVCRT.DLL? I checked the FAQ and mailing list archives.
I've included more details below. Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Darren

I'm trying some multi-thread examples from the O'Reilly "win32
multithreaded programming".

The hello world program compiled first time, using CreateThread(). But when
I changed it to use _beginthreadex() I get compile errors. I changed the
example to include <process.h>. Now it works with Visual C++ 5 (once I
remembered to tell it to use the multithreaded runtime library).

But it still fails with EGCS. After reading the source for process.h I've
added this line:
 #define __MSVCRT__	//For EGCS

Now it compiles but won't link. I found this in the readme file:

  The default distribution links with and uses CRTDLL.DLL, which is

guaranteed to be on *every* W95/NT system shipped. If there's 
  interest,
I'll also upload the add-on to make it work with MSVCRT.DLL, 
  which is
shipped with newer versions of W95/NT, as well as with MS 
  packages such
as MS Explorer.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".