Subject: Re: NT extended attributes
From: [email-masked] (Charles Wilson)

17 Oct 1998 07:35:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Jeff Sturm <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Jeff Sturm wrote:

> Yes, I *think* chown works, I'll verify tomorrow... under NT "change
> ownership" is one of the rights that can be granted on a file, so any
> user can generally assign ownership of his own files... right?

I believe that this is one of the fundamental differences between the Unix
security model and the NT security model. Under Unix, an owner can transfer
ownership of files that they own to another user, whereas under NT, users
with sufficent permissions can _take_ ownership of other users' files. While
this seems a ridiculous concept at first, (at least it seems so to me) the
structure of the NT Access Control Lists for each file allow a "paper
trail." Thus, only sufficiently empowered users can take ownership, but
there's always a record of the fact that it happened and whodunnit.

My 2c
Chuck Wilson

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".