Subject: Re: New Installation
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

17 Oct 1998 06:02:49 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: "Boda S. Gupta" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---"Boda S. Gupta" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hello 

Hi, Boda.

> 		
> 1. Can any one help me with a nice sequence of instructions to
> use Cygwin32.
> 
> I don't want to disturb cygnus->b19->H-* -> directory structure
disturbed!

I understand your hesitance in doing this.  When I was a newbie with
cygwin32 I had the same criteria.  However, being more experienced,
the benefits of physically moving the files are most notible.  Check
out "My Favored Directory Structure" under "Personal Reflections" on
my webpage.

> 
> 2. Do we need to set up /var /etc with mount?

I suggest you create a /var/run directory.  You'll need /etc for the
termcap.

> 3. How does one create /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on NT with
Cygnus?

mkpasswd and mkgroup

>    
> 4. How to use man pages from cdk-man-* ? Any tool or method?

Check out the "List of packages" on my webpage.

> 
> 5. Vi or some alternative please?

Vim. 

> 
> 6. Any good tools you suggest?

Again, check the "List of packages" on my webpage.

> 7. How to run X Programs? I have installed X Server (MIX Server)
from TNT
> Lite and also have X11R6.3 libs from Mr. Mummit Khan's Site.
> How to configure them to work with me! Compelete instructions? Am I
ambitious?
> 
>  
> 7. I have a X11/Motif program and want to run on WinNT (+cygnus). 
>    Do I need to run always X Server? Is there no way X Server forms
part of
> my executable?
> If yes, please let me know how to do it!

I'm ignorant on these.  There've been lots of posts concerning them
though.  You could check the archives.  I can tell you that the X
Server, in general, must be running.  There is a port of rxvt that has
mapped the X calls to Win32 calls so that you don't need the X server.
 The package contains the diffs and extra source.

> 
> Please help me!
> 

I hope I've been, helpful.

==
-                \\||//
-----------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o------------
--        [email-masked]        --
-- http://freeyellow.com/members5/gw32 --
--------------ooo0O--O0ooo---------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".