Subject: \r\n, DJGPP and gnu-win (Was: Re[2]: tar, zip, gzip troubles
From: [email-masked]

15 Oct 1998 17:37:26 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: MULTIPART/MIXED; BOUNDARY="Boundary_(ID_KQnRFvXwY2mTxHR2z0eFAA)"
To: [email-masked]

--Boundary_(ID_KQnRFvXwY2mTxHR2z0eFAA)
Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=ISO-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

     I used the DJGPP environment under dos for years without ever having 
     to worry about this problem.  In addition to all the ports working as 
     promised, I was able to successfully do some ports myself (the most 
     exotic being scm).  The applications I used with no problems included 
     bash, emacs, vim, less, genscript, TeX, autoconfig, configure, make, 
     various shell scripts, perl, my own perl scripts, and on and on.  I 
     simply never worried about the \r\n issue.  I did see it discussed 
     occaisionally on the DJGPP newsgroup.  My setup was a very standard 
     dos 6.something, windows3.something (both plain and for work groups at 
     various times).
     
     On NT with gnu-win, I've finally made things work by setting my entire 
     cygnus tree to text = binary in the mount table.  I'll admit that I 
     now have few problems, but I really should be able to run with no 
     problems without messing with the registry.
     
     Can someone explain why there are few if any problems with the way 
     DJGPP handles this, and why there is a more or less continuous stream  
     of problems with this in gnu-win?
     
     Well, I hope this doesn't sound like a major complaint.  I give hearty 
     thanks to all the people who have done so much to provide the cyg-win and  
     gnu-win environment, and realize that this is still early in its 
     evlolution.
     
     John Velman
     [email-masked]
     ______________________________ Reply Separator 
     _________________________________
     Subject: RE: tar, zip, gzip troubles
     Author:  [email-masked] at mime
     Date:    10/13/98 7:19 AM

     >>This smacks of the old binary/text problem.  It doesn't sound like you
     
     have set your mounts (mount -b) or CYGWIN32 (binmode) variable to binary
     
     mode so I suggest you look there first.<<
     
     Oh yes, this cured the problem (although I had to strip the \r's from my 
     .bashrc to restart bash successfully). However, as Earnie Boyd pointed out, 
     this seems to be more a workaround than a fix and I'll try to modify the 
     zip/unzip sources to fix the problem (may take years, though).
     Thanks a lot
     Markus

     _________________________
     Dr. Markus Hoenicka
     DLR Inst. Aerospace Medicine
     D-51170 Cologne, Germany
     [email-masked]
     Phone: ++49-2203-601-3101
     Fax: ++49-2203-61159
     _________________________

     -
     For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to 
     "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

--Boundary_(ID_KQnRFvXwY2mTxHR2z0eFAA)
Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=ISO-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

RFC-822-headers:
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:19:25 +0200
From: =?IBM437?Q?Dr=2E_Markus_H=94nicka?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: tar, zip, gzip troubles
Sender: [email-masked]

--Boundary_(ID_KQnRFvXwY2mTxHR2z0eFAA)--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".