Subject: Mingw32-ecgs DLL cann't load, cross-compile can, same tools
From: [email-masked] (Douglas Steele)

15 Oct 1998 17:36:07 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Douglas Steele <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi,

Win95 Version B, Mingw32-ecgs

I have a small standard test dll program (from ftp://sirio.stat.unipd.it
/pub/dltest ).  The cross-compiled version works perfectly.  The
directly compiled version (using identical tools) is unable to load.

The dll failure to load on the small test program illustrates a dll
failure to load problem with the R statistical system reported by a
number of other users on Win95.

The dll version which fails to load has large blocks of junk string data
which are set to \0 in the cross-compiled version.  (This is the most
noticeable difference on an od -c then diff).  Note though that the
object files are identical, so that the discrepancies are occurring
after object file creation.

The tool list for the cross-compiled and directly compiled binaries was
also from Guido's ftp site (ftp://sirio.stat.unipd.it):-
(but the same problem occurs with the standard Mingw32 1.02 and 1.1
distribution; cross-compile OK, direct doesn't work)

gccwin32.zip contains a binary distribution of gcc and g77 for
Win32/Mingw32.
In particular, it is based on:
 (a) gcc-2.8.1;
 (b) g77-0.5.23;
 (c) binutils-2.9.1;
 (d) July 1, 1998 Mingw32 snapshot; 
 (e) July 1, 1998 Win32-API headers and libraries by Colin Peters.
(a), (b) and (c) can be found in any gnu mirrors. 
(d) and (e) can be found on http://www.fu.is.saga-
u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html.
gccwin32.zip is different from the Jan Jaap vanderHeijden distribution
of
gcc2.8.1 (http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32) since:
 (a) it includes support for FORTRAN; on the other side, there isn't
     any support for C++ and Objective C;
 (b) it includes a more recent version of binutils, Mingw32 and
     Win32-API.

Any help appreciated.  Also why with identical tools and headers etc are
the cross-compiled and directly compiled versions not identical ?

-- 
Douglas Steele
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".