Subject: NT extended attributes
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sturm)

15 Oct 1998 08:01:48 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Can anyone explain how NTFS security maps to the cygwin32 POSIX-ish
user/group/other file permissions?  I've tried to set up a
somewhat-secure login environment on NT.  Working as administrator, I
can create folders and set their ownership through cygwin32 (chown
works).  So the folder looks like

drwxr-xr-x   2 jsturm   Domain U       0 Oct 14 12:54 /AEC

but user 'jsturm' cannot create files in /AEC.  However 'jsturm' can add
himself explicitly through Explorer's security tab... then all is well,
even though the output of `ls -ld /AEC' doesn't change.

The POSIX utilities I downloaded from microsoft seem to work correctly,
at least `chmod' and `ls -l'.  Too bad they don't seem to work from a
remote telnet session...

BTW I'm using 19.3 on NT4 SP3 with "tty binmode ntea".

-- 
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".