Subject: Re: Precompiled headers in egcs? (was MFC with egcs 1.1)
From: [email-masked] (Hilton Fernandes)

14 Oct 1998 21:30:45 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Don Sharp <[email-masked]>
Cc: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>,
        Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>

On 13 Oct 98 at 9:21, Don Sharp <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My lengthy experience with pre-compiled headers, mainly with Borland
> compilers, shows that unless the sequence of your include files is
> always the same then the pre-compiled header database grows like topsy.
> My memory is of a 54Mb precompiled header database for a ~4Mb total
> source file project. Still disc space is cheap and the database lookups
> may be
> fast enough even when the database becomes large.
> 

You suggest an interesting benchmark: to compile applications with 
huge include file sets, and to assess the precompiled header length 
and compilation speed with and without precompiled headers.

That comparison would have to use several commercial compilers.  If 
you want my opinion, i think Borland isn't the leader in compiler 
writing anymore, but the Redmond people. :-(  So, i'm not very 
impressed with their figures.

> A better answer might be an automated way to remove spacing and
> comments from header files and save them in a special directory. I
> believe that it was Jacob Navia who reported major speed
> improvements as a result.
> 

Navia's idea is very interesting and seem to defy a programmer's 
idea: you can use any comments and spacing that you want and still 
have the same compilation speed.

However, to automatically uncomment, remove spacing and save in a
special directory can still be considered a form of precompiled
header creation.

> Cheers
> 
> Don Sharp
> 
> -

Best regards,
--Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes, M. Sc
email: [email-masked]
Parallel Distributed Applications 
at Escola Politecnica (Polytechnic School)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".