Subject: Re: Precompiled headers in egcs? (was MFC with egcs 1.1)
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Nichols)

12 Oct 1998 17:25:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Hilton,

>If you're not exclusively interested in MFC, but in some OO library
>that can make easier the development of GUI apps, you should take a
>look at wxWindows, found in
>
>	http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/
>
>and V, that can be found in
>
>	http://www.objectcentral.com

Thanks for these, both of which I've checked out previously. wxWindows
version 2 looks quite promising, but neither of them seem to have anything
like the scope and power of Zinc at
http://www.zinc.com

This is very "clean", fully OO/event driven, has a graphical cross-platform
"resource editor" (Zinc Designer) which allows (e.g.) graphical positioning
of derived window objects and automatic code generation.

Although this is currently a commercial product, there is a "Personal
Version" of Zinc, which can be downloaded, but at present the licence (as I
read it) does not permit redistribution of the binaries you produce. Do
please write to them to urge them to put the Personal Version under the GPL
or similar, it's an ideal cross-platform tool, currently addressing Win32/X
Motif/Mac/DOS32/embedded (pSOS, VxWorks). It supports the GNU gcc under
Motif, and can be used with egcs with trivial mods (see previous postings
to this list). The Personal Version is simply the full version without the
ZafTable class (which is itself fairly amazing). The only problem with all
this is that nobody (except Peter Coffee of PC Week, who rates it very
highly) seems to have heard of it.

Rather academic from my point of view - I know Zinc, I don't know MFC, and
(in the UK) the bulk of jobs advertised are for MFC. 

Thanks,
Regards,
Tom.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".