Subject: Precompiled headers in egcs? (was MFC with egcs 1.1)
From: [email-masked] (Hilton Fernandes)

12 Oct 1998 02:42:00 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Thomas Nichols <[email-masked]>,
        Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

On 10 Oct 98 at 19:58, Thomas Nichols <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Thanks very much, I'll just have to get VC++ 6 then. Or maybe I'll go for
> Power++ instead, even if it is stagnating, 'cos it's such a nice tool...
> 
> Thanks to all for the advice,
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Thomas.
> 

Hello! 

If you're not exclusively interested in MFC, but in some OO library
that can make easier the development of GUI apps, you should take a
look at wxWindows, found in

	http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

and V, that can be found in

	http://www.objectcentral.com

They're public domain software -- V is GPL --, they have active 
mailing lists.

Their codes are cleaner than MFC's: you can actually understand
them, simply by reading the code. :-)  No necessity of huge books 
like MFC Internals, just to find what was the original intention of 
the programmer when writing that piece of code. :-(

They have different intentions and code base, but they show
the same quality: portability between Win32 GUI and several Unix
GUIs, based on X Windows.  They even have some support for the Win16 
API, aka Windows 3.1X.

BTW, since we're talking about compilers, i'd like to ask whether
there will be some effort to include precompiled headers in EGCS. As
we all know, programming class libraries demand lots of headers. The
repeated recompilation of them during the development incurs in
wasted time, as they're not subjected to change.  Since Borland 3.1
(circa 1990?), compilers save the unaltered headers in a parsed
form, that shaves compilation time.

The question is: will the precompiled header feature be someday part
of EGCS?  Would it be structurally difficult, or even impossible?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,
--Hilton
----
Hilton Fernandes
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".