Subject: Re: tar, zip, gzip troubles
From: [email-masked] (Jan Tomasek)

11 Oct 1998 10:10:54 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Dr. Markus =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6nicka?=" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Hi Markus,
(PKZIP is compatible only with itself, delete it :-)  )

I'm using tar, gzip, bzip2, info-zip, on my Win95 and Debian/Linux
without
any problem. 

I'm using tar and gzip without any problems, I unpacking with this
command: 'tar zxvf xxxx.tar.gz'

With info-zip I had probelms as you before some months. If I create zip
archive on my home computer 486-AMD running on 160MHz I wasn't able
decompress
because I was corupted. But if I create zip on my school computer (from
exactly
same files all was fine). Problem was fixed by downloading new version,
at this time I'm using (compiled for Win32 box):
	Zip 2.2 (November 3rd 1997).
It's working corecty from Command.com/bash.

Bye Jan

> Hi,
> I'm quite new to the Cygnus tools (B19), but I have some experience with
> both Windows NT4 and Linux. I can unpack .tar.gz and .zip on NT and I
> can create .tar.gz on Linux and create .zip on NT (WinZip, InfoZip
> zip/unzip in cmd.exe). However, I can't properly pack or unpack using
> the Cygnus bash. All attempts result in invalid or unreadable archives.
> I've tested:
> - gzip/gunzip/tar shipped with the Cygnus tools
> - InfoZip zip/unzip ported to Cygnus
> - InfoZip zip/unzip compiled for WinNT
> The only packer that partially works is pkzip, but this fails to
> recursively search subdirectories.
> I've tested the whole thing on two NT boxes, and I've downloaded the
> usertools twice to be sure the distribution isn't corrupted.
> What am I doing wrong?

-- 
                            Jan Tomasek,          student FEL-CVUT
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            e-mail: [email-masked]
                            www: http://www.feld.cvut.cz/~xtomasej
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~H~

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".