Subject: Re: Building an import lib from a DLL - egcs 1.1
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Nichols)

9 Oct 1998 07:47:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: [email-masked] (Thomas Nichols)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

At 20:08 07/10/98 -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:

<snip>

>> from Mumit Khan, saying that he used the Borland BC5 "impdef" tool to do
>> what I'm trying to do.
>
>Actually, the pointer I gave was a version [of impdef] by Colin Peters, which
>coincidentally has the same name as Borland's one. I also suppliedo
>in that message an URL to a microsoft's version that you can download.

Apologies, but I can't see that URL. I've found the message I was looking
at, about libcygwinX11.a I think, which has attached to it a copy of the
DEF file but no URL that I could find. If it just does the same thing as
the one on Colin Peter's site, then I'll stick with the latter.

>One of these, I'll just break down and write one of these from scratch
>so that there is no copyright/licensing issues with the ones you get
>from the net. That day may be far away however ...

No problem - thanks for your efforts thus far, very much appreciated.

Does anyone know whether a DLL contains info on the size of the parameter
list each exported function is expecting? If so, it should be possible to
build an impdef that outputs
EXPORTS
doThatFunkyThing@16
where the current version misses off the @16 suffix. If the info is
embedded in the DLL there should be no need to parse the associated .h
file, either. Since 'standard' DLLs use pascal calling conv., with no
varargs, this information could theoretically be available, is that right?

As an alternative, can gcc / ld be told just to forget about the @-suffix?
That way I could use the existing impdef and dlltool to generate an import
lib for a DLL built using standard MSVC switches. That's what I'm trying for.

Regards,

Thomas.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".