Subject: select()
From: [email-masked] (Todd M. Grimm)

8 Oct 1998 08:49:14 -0700
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.981007122657.4416E-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@grout>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

I am using select() to test whether there are bytes on a socket to read 
without blocking my program to check on this.

The problem is that even when there is no data it returns a 1 to say that 
there is data. This causes my program to try a read which blocks because 
there really is no data.

I saw several messages in the archives of this list about this, but all I 
could find were questions. No one ever seemed to answer the question.

Please let me know if you know how to get select() to work right or if 
there is a nother way to test for bytes without blocking.

Thanks,
Todd grimm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd M. Grimm, 202-767-5780, [email-masked]
ITT Systems & Sciences Corp. at the Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".