Subject: Re: xterm without the "x"
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sturm)

2 Oct 1998 21:44:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Steven Hein <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

I actually considered writing a native terminal emulator for this
purpose.  There are a few difficulties with the NT console window that
can be avoided by running bash in a terminal window.  It would certainly
help Win9x users too.  The console emulation on my win95 box is riddled
with bugs (it doesn't really bother me since I seldom use win95, but
many on this list use it every day).

It should be easy for anyone experienced in building win32 apps to write
this terminal emulator.  I'm not, that's why I use gnu-win32 :)

Besides the console window and X server, another way to run bash is from
telnet.exe if a local telnet server is installed.  However the
telnet.exe bundled with NT is pretty poor.

Steven Hein wrote:
> I've seen some posts from people who love having an xterm instead
> of having to use the lame DOS shell window around bash.  Is there
> any sort of an xterm-like window that can be used with NT natively--
> that is, without X?
> 
> I know that I could get a free X server and use it to display xterms,
> but this far to cumbersome to be practical when all I want is a better
> "frame" to wrap around my shells!

-- 
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".