Subject: Number of ttys
From: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)

2 Oct 1998 14:16:40 -0700
Message-ID: <AC4D3D80B239D211BC140000F879A2BA92.cygnus.gnu-win32@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "Gnu-Win32 (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

I have setup an NT Server (NT4 SP3) with Gnu-win32.
My whole company logs onto this server to run ported "unix"
applications.

However, after about 15 logins, we run out of tty's.

I remember hearing that the cygwin dll could be recompiled after
changing winsup/ttys.h to a larger value.
(Can the default value of NTTYS be increased to a sensible value please
-so I can use Sergeys stuff, which I trust.)

Anyway, I took a deep breath, and,

downloaded egcs-1.0.3a and installed it.
downloaded the gnu-win32 source
changed the winsup/ttys.h (NTTYS to 64)
did a ./configure on the /usr/src 
did a make.

This did it's stuff, and made a /usr/src/winsup/new-cygwinb19.dll.

So I moved new-cygwinb19.dll to
/Cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwinb19.dll, and opened a new bash
session which promptly dr.Watsoned.
So, I compiled/linked bash, and that got me going .

However, I still cannot connect 64 users to the machine (in fact, my
copy stops at about 5 now).

Do I have to recompile inetutils (inetd, etc)? 
I also notice that when I login (telnet) to the gnu-2in32, I have no
echo. Is this a patched bash problem?

Many regards,
Ian Collins.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".